Sunday, November 13, 2005

Pacem in Terris

When I started this webblog last week, I was naïve.

I had no idea how much **work** it would entail. Thus, in consistency with professing the tradition I cherish and seek to uphold, I am going to ‘remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy’.

Having created the expectation of leaving an entry today, however, I wonder if the following observation is not inappropriate.

In the early 1990’s in Britain, the Conservative government legalised shops opening on Sunday. Before that, Sunday was a day of peace in Britain. At the time, committed to the New Age movement as I was, I had not the slightest **religious** concern about this legislation.

Nonetheless, I still considered it to be one of the worst horrors ever perpetrated by that long Tory government of 1979-1997. And many horrors indeed were perpetrated by Margaret Thatcher and her heir. My concerns, as I say, were not for religion, but because I knew this peace was important for the Soul of the British nation.

Now that I am Christian, I give thanks to God that in many European countries, at least, the **tradition** is maintained and a palpable peace remains present on Sunday.

After this my friends, the webblog will continue six days a week, Monday to Saturday. Peace be with you. (Especially to those of you who may be **compelled** to work this day).

Gloria in excelsis Deo, et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.

No comments: