Monday, February 13, 2006

Letting Love Flow

When I was young and at the New Age community of Findhorn, I believed I had a found a new way to social change.

The way for me was not social revolution and destruction.

The way was quietly to build the 'New' leaving behind the Old ...

How long it took me to see that this new way was still subtly unloving and rejecting - abandoning the old in favour of the 'new' ... Pretending that the old had nothing to offer!

And at what price! I deeply appreciate what the head wrote here a few weeks ago: "a weakness of religionless spirituality is that it may fail to integrate the various aspects of life into a greater whole - for that is needed a community that can transcend the moment of one's civilization."

Amen. Yes, it seems to me the New Age subculture is so bound to the zeitgeist, at the expense of a far wider and richer framework ... in which perhaps one feels more keenly and vividly 'the atmosphere of piety and sacrifice' and perhaps greater disquiet and alarm at the 'utilitarian' nature of so much of modernity and its reductions.

How long it took me to see a third way beyond both social revolution and the New Age movement.

A third way of deeper love.

To let love flow. Love from the past and the present ....

To let myself be loved, loved by Christ ... Christ through his Church, through the tradition ... and that this was far, far richer than anything I experienced in the New Age.

And in return, to love, actively LOVE the Church and the tradition ...

Much of the greatness of Anonymous d'Outre Tombe lies in the radicalness of his call to love, and to the renunciation of violence and rejection, even in its subtlest forms. (Though he has far more to offer, in addition).

No comments: