Friday, March 24, 2006

Confessions VI (Dismantling the Tradition — and its Consequences)

Dear Friends, Known and Unknown,

I have been speaking of a hidden unity I see in the New Age movement, inasmuch as its apparent holistic, all-embracing spiritual cafeteria does in fact, seem to me much more narrow and selective, than is commonly acknowledged.

That is, it seems to me to involve a ***certain definite complex of related ideas and practices***. These are often important and beautiful in themselves. They often include, for example, the need to be self-watchful, ‘centred’, and not reactive. There is also a marked call for authenticity, optimism, hope – and other important virtues. All of this is frequently expressed in life, I want to add, with genuine and moving beauty.

Clearly no Christian can have concern with any of this – as far as it goes.

However, it also seems to me that the New Age smorgasbord is focussed on this coherent complex, to an often-subtle, but active exclusion of other spiritual ideas and ideals. In this, I see a hidden unity.

And in this connection, I mentioned the former Catholic and now Episcopalian priest, Matthew Fox.

Now as I have said, these confessions are written at a stressed and pained time in my life. And Matthew Fox’s thinking has a significant depth and complexity that I am not sure I can do full justice to now.

I just want to be very personal. I want to confess an internal dialogue with you, Reverend Fox or at least with what I hear you say. What I hear you say - I repeat for emphasis.

I confess I have made a real attempt to listen to you, Reverend Fox, and what I hear you say fits all too well with the New Age pattern I see of dismantling the Christian Tradition.

Yes Reverend Fox, I know that you have done a great deal of heartfelt, careful work with the Christian Tradition. I do not place you amongst those mindlessly throwing aside the tradition, with no attempt to engage it.

But at the same time, what I am hearing involves a continuous reduction or ***relativisation*** , bordering on complete ***dismissal*** of vast amounts of the Christian tradition.

In seeking to establish your theology of ‘Creation Spirituality’ and ‘Original Blessing’, I hear you relativising to the point of negating a vast dimension - which you call ‘Fall/Redemption’.

As though the central Christian ideas of the Fall and the Redemption often amounted to little more than a pathological expression of morbid psychology, power-politics and ‘patriarchy’.

When I hear what I hear, it seems to me that there is no faith in the tradition of the Mystics over the millennia, testifying to a ***vision*** of the Fall of humanity and of God-become-human to redeem humanity.

No I hear only – rightly or wrongly – a ***hermeneutic of suspicion***, in regard to so much of the Christian Mystical Tradition.

Now I often hear penetrating psychological insight in your words, even rich human wisdom and heart.

But for my own ears at least, I hear far too little Mystery and Faith. The Christian Mystery is reduced to … almost nothing.

Yes, occasionally you seem to concede that just possibly the massive over –emphasis, as you see it, on the Fall and Redemption, had limited value in a previous age.

And I confess when I hear these things, I am reminded of New-Agers conceding that Piscean ideas, perhaps, had some value in the age of Pisces.

In what I hear, I feel a link between your view of Fall/Redemption, and the New Age mystics, who honour and embrace you. And who you honour in turn (cf. Original Blessing pg 314).

I hear your concern that Fall/Redemption theology is ‘Christolatrous’. By which you seem to mean ‘idolatrous of Christ’ inasmuch as it is actually too Christ-centred - at the expense of honouring the Creator-Father and the Spirit.

You would also appear to mean at the expense of a low Christology of Jesus, as a prophet ‘who calls others to their divinity’ (see my comment to this entry).

If I understand you correctly, I can only say that I fear your attempt to dismantle what the Church considers the core of Christianity, betrays –I repeat - a deep reductionism, bordering on utter negation of the Transcendent Mystery of Calvary.

The Transcendent Mystery that countless Christian mystics, within and without the Church, endeavoured for centuries to understand, honour and preserve …

Within and without the Church … I confess I have in mind here Rudolf Steiner and his words I have quoted here before: ‘Was heute zu retten ist, das ist das Mysterium von Golgotha’ - What is to be saved today is the Mystery of Golgotha.

A Mystery of Redemption that makes no sense at all, without a profound regard for the nature of the Fall …

I suspect that you might consider both Rudolf Steiner and myself as ‘Christolatrous’ in emphasising the tremendous importance that the tradition gives to the Fall, to the nature of Evil, and to the central role of Jesus Christ in the Redemption …

Now, dear friends, even if I am mistaken in my real efforts to understand Matthew Fox’s writing, I am nonetheless convinced that both within the Church and without, there is an effort to reduce the central Christian ideas.

Often to reduce them to nothing but psychology and power … To be ***replaced*** perhaps by a ‘Creator Theology of the Original Blessing of the Father’? Who knows?

For thinkers in this vein, this kind of replacement will be largely, if not entirely wholly good. To throw out ‘Fall/Redemption’ will mean to throw out a great source of pathology, intolerance, despair and more.

And replacing it by a new spirituality of great ecumenism, hope and non-judgment.

But are there no dangers in this dismantling of the Tradition, I ask myself. Is there nothing to be LOST in what I think Fox is recommending us - that Fall/Redemption theology be jettisoned in favour of a ‘Christianity’ that conforms so very much to the ‘New Aquarian Spirituality’?

Is there nothing of consequence to be lost? I am afraid that not only are great worlds of essential Christian meaning to be lost – but that I also fear the consequence of this loss for HUMAN civilisation may be vast indeed. And I suspect that this is what Rudolf Steiner among others, saw quite clearly.

Without acknowledging the Fall, we can easily lose the sense of universal tragedy. We are more prone to an individualistic New Age doctrine, that each of us ‘creates our own reality’ – as the New Age mantra has it. And that any tragedy that exists is simply an individual tragedy of one’s own making.

Thus is the teaching of the tradition obscured - that not only is there a fallen humanity, with outstanding representatives from age to age - from Caligula to Attila to Mao - but that there are also fallen angels. There are fallen angels of incomprehensible power, who actively seek to bring ruin.

Yes I confess it appears to me that a radical de-emphasis of the Fall has profound consequences for the spirituality which it shapes. For the ideas that shapes one’s spirituality ARE important, and to exchange one set of ideas for another, is not ***without consequence***. As Matthew Fox and other writers of a New Age cast are definitely aware.

And it seems to me that there may be many ***further*** consequences of exchanging a so-called ‘Christolatrous’ Fall/Redemption theology, for one wherein the Mystery of Christ is radically diluted. If not altogether decimated.

I confess that in my soul, there lives deep concern that among these consequences is a diminishing of human FEELING, of human heart and an all-too-cosy accommodation with the secularist capitalism ravaging the world. And why I feel this, I will soon be attempting to voice …

These confessions will continue on TUESDAY, instead of Monday. May your weekend be blessed, my friends.

10 comments:

Roger Buck said...

The brief quote is from pg 317, Original Blessing. Bear and Co. New Mexico. 1983.

And some might feel I've unfairly shortened it.

For the entire quote concern's Creation Spirituality's

'Emphasis on Jesus as prophet, as artist, as parable teller, and Son of God who calls others to their divinity.'

But I do not feel the quote is unfairly shortened.

For despite the traditional capitals to Son of God - I see no evidence in the book that Fox means by Son of God what the Church means - the pre-existent Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity ...

May I be forgiven if I misinterpret and misrepresent Fox. But I believe he sees Jesus as primarily a prophet, and another child of God as we are all children of God - calling us to our 'divinity' which he shares with us ...

We are not speaking here of the Johannine Logos and I cannot help but feel Fox would be very uncomfortable with high Johannine Christology.

John the Evangelist would need to be relativised and psychologised to fit into Fox's vision. Such at least is my fear.

Forgive me if after my careful reading, I wrong you, Reverend Fox.

I hope that this use of this brief phrase of Fox's may be judged in fair use. If not, I will immediately remove it if notified.

Fred said...

Roger,

before most of my other reading, I read Original Blessing. As I read the books listed in the bibliography, however, I noted that Fox did not do justice to his sources: Christian or otherwise.

Roger Buck said...

Thank you, Fred.

It would be most interesting to hear your erudite, thoughtful voice further on this, if you have time and inclination.

Though not as learned in many ways that you are, I think I am somewhat aware of what you mean. But my chief focus at present is how though Fox might not call himself 'New Age' - many factors indicate to me his vision fits very well, even belongs to the 'Aquarian agenda' - for lack of a better term.

Fred said...

Fox, a one-time Dominican, credited Marie-Dominique Chenu OP for inspiring his project of Creation-Centered Spirituality (I haven't read Chenu, but it would seem unfair to blame him for Fox's excesses).

Although it's been years since I read Original Blessing, I would say that the good of the book was to call attention to the positivity of the Judeo-Christian tradition. However, Fox had a tendency of seeing tradition in a Protestant way: a dominant formalism with a surviving minority that represents the true message of Christ. The more catholic approach to tradition is to see it as a rich and complex gumbo.

Fox represents his Asian sources as being wholly Creation Centered, which strikes me as a naive, Orientalist valorizing of the other without close attention to the content of the texts, practice, etc.

The worst thing that Fox does is treating Jesus as a propounder of wisdom. He seems to forget that Christianity is based upon the fact of the life, death, and ressurection of the unique man Jesus.

The Christological doctrines are extremely helpful in thinking about this sort of monism. Jesus is true God and true man, not simply a part of God that has fallen into maya. God is real and creation is real and Jesus is the marriage of both realities in His person. Enlightenment is no longer required for salvation, but simply a human encounter with Jesus Christ.

Fox would call this dualism, but traditionally dualism has been described as a philosophy that values the spiritual and sees the material as false, illusiory, or evil (Fox's own position).

Grey Owl said...

Thank you, Roger, for helping me to reconsider the Fall.

It really points to the axel upon which all Christian debate revolves around.

What is the true nature of the Fall and how has Christ further defined it?

You suggest that Fox is in reaction to the negativity of the doctrine.

The issue remains what is the nature of God in Jesus. Pre-existing Logos or mere prophet?

If we cannot define God in Jesus, then understanding our Superman Syndrome about Jesus cannot be properly clarified. It is either taken a priori or dismissed. Was He man, God, or god-man? The debate seems to never be settled after 2000 years!

Jesus compromises the integrity of our conception of duality between the spirit world and the material one. Jesus remains the gap in our understanding of the true nature of reality because we cannot touch His earthly reality, just.

What is the nature or our blindness? What causes it? Can we figure a way out of it using our minds and prayer?

As Fred points out, the two become one in Jesus. But we do not fully understand what it means to live the reality of Christ, nor are we meant to. Just believe and hold on til Judgment Day.

Perhaps the 'New Age' is challenging this, and believes that it is possible to break out of our acceptance of the duality and see reality as totally spirit.

Christianity is hamstrung by this. It suffers from a limitation of its spirituality. Within human-centered spirituality it is beyond brilliant. But outside of the human-centered paradigm it walks on thin ice.

Perhaps the courage of Rev. Fox lies in his willingness to explore spirituality that is not confined to one doctrinal view of reality, but the unanswered spiritual questions of Christians are available from extant sources elsewhere.

Without having read Fox, I put forth a criticism from the 'other side' of Fox's exploration into the emergence of New Age.

Has Fox really left his civilized human-centered, mind-centered consciousness and experienced reality outside of humans being the center of God's universe?

If he has, kudos to him. If not, then the debate remains a Christian debate about humans without reference to the true meaning of the Fall that puts it into a broader context. I do not know about his Creation-centered spirituality. What are its parameters and what revelations has it produced to create a language that orthodox Christians can understand? Is it creating a bridge, or is it still within a circular debate focused on the primary importance of human beings in God's Creation?

I applaud Rev. Fox's pioneering efforts to figure out the true nature of Jesus as a man, and what Jesus' reality was as He related to the material world He was a part of. He seeks to unravel the question that has plagued Christianity from the beginning, and does not settle for the explanations that theology has devised to contain what it cannot answer fully.

But if the investigation remains in the civilized human-centered perception of the earthly trinity of reality being simply God, humans and inert matter, then those efforts with come to naught. He will remain among the Fallen until Judgment Day.

Thank you for your attention.

Blessings,
Sun Warrior

Roger Buck said...

Dear Fred and Sun Warrior,

Thank you for your in-depth, thought-provoking comments ...

They have been each read two or three times, and much is with me in response to each of them. But there is much pressure here and my response must be limited and selective ...

Fred - I am hardly surprised to note that I find a great deal of value in your analysis of Fox.

Thank you for taking the time for this. I appreciate it a lot.

Among other things, your points about a suspicion of a 'dominant formalism' and about an ungrounded idealisation of the East are most useful. Both actually correspond to my sense of the Aquarian/New Age pattern, as well ...

What I am most struck with though is you writing:

"Enlightenment is no longer required for salvation, but simply a human encounter with Jesus Christ."

After a close study of Meditations on the Tarot, this idea emerged strongly for me -

but if you could point to others at some point - no rush - addressing this idea that 'Enlightenment' is the pre-Christian path, I would be very interested to hear

Think it is a key for Christians contemplating New Age spirituality.

Sun Warrior, your writing strikes me pregnant with meaningful insights - yet is not always clear to me.

This may be due to us coming from somewhat different and foreign Christian backgrounds (I know that many find my own writing cryptic!)

Different responses -

I find this striking:

'we do not fully understand what it means to live the reality of Christ, nor are we meant to. Just believe and hold on til Judgment Day.'

Which tradition do you primarily refer to in 'holding on till Judgment Day?'

I think one of the beauties I experienced in the New Age, is that its best - it was concerned with an ongoing in this world transformation of the human being into, at very least, a being with a most more sophisticated and loving psychological awareness and set of skills ...

And this may be related to what you mean by the 'challenge' of the New Age ...

Also in my experience of the New Age there is perhaps a certain echo of what you find in much of Christianity

"Within human-centered spirituality it [Christianity] is beyond brilliant. But outside of the human-centered paradigm it walks on thin ice."

I emphasise only a certain echo - because I confess I am not sure I am entirely clear as to your meaning.

But I suspect we are both looking for a spirituality beyond the human-centred, and that while you have found this lacking in the Christianity you experienced, I experienced it lacking in the New Age ...

But as I say in my entry going up soon today, I found something very much beyond this, within what I will simply call here the Catholic Mystery ...

And Orthodox Mystery, I should strongly imagine, though I have not experienced Orthodoxy ../

In any event within Catholicism, I found what I might call:

an orientation to and expression of Mystery -

which yes, if I am honest it does seem to me, may have escaped Matthew Fox ...

Now I may not be being clear. It is not easy - writing a response to you, under some pressure.

But as I hope to bring out in the weblog, it seems to me that this thing I am inadequately calling:

'an orientation to and expression of Mystery'

within Catholicism

is very much about not waiting 'till Judgment Day'.

If I am very honest and personal, I feel the Catholic Mystery, in particular in her Sacraments cleansing me, cleansing my human-ness, uniting my body and soul, bringing me closer to riches I never experienced in the New Age ...

It feels very much a here-and-now process, that transcends the holistic paths I walked ...

So my experience of Catholicism is of the experience of a **grace** from beyond the human level that I experience above all in the Sacraments - yes, indeed a sanctifying grace.

Directly related to what Fred has said about the Encounter with Christ true God and true human ...

Still within the Catholicism, I do not find enough as I should like to find, **said** about the EXPERIENCE of this encounter in everday life ...

Fumbling, this is why I speak in this weblog about my own experience of being cleansed and integrated, very much in my day to day life through the Sacraments ...

Not especially well said, Sun Warrior. And I may not have understood you well enough. But I hope you will at least feel my gratitude and my attempt to engage with you attentively ...

Fred said...

Roger,
I agree that the aspect of "encounter" is too often neglected in Catholicism. Though rare, it can still be found (Benedict's Deus caritas est paragraph 17, Fr. Cantalamessa, come to mind). I figured it would be helpful to give some prominant examples.

if you could point to others at some point - no rush - addressing this idea that 'Enlightenment' is the pre-Christian path, I would be very interested to hear

Paul of Taursus repeatedly had to confront the expectation people had for a "new wisdom":
1 Corinthians 1: 22-24
"For Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those who are called, Jews and Greeks alike, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."

"If God had manifested a particular will in a particular way in human history, if he had charted a pathway of his own leading to him, the central issue of the religious phenomenon would cease to be man attempting to imagine God, even though this attempt is the greatest expression of human dignity; instead, the whole issue would lie in freedom's pure and simple gesture of acceptance or rejection. This is the overturning of the method [religious wisdom].

No longer is the focal point the striving of the intelligence, the drive of the will to construct, the stretching of the imagination, the weaving of a complex moralism.

Rather, it is simple recognition, the reaction of one who, watching out for the arrival of a friend, singles him out of the crowd and greets him. In this hypothesis, the religious method would lose all its disturbing connotations of an enigmatic deferment to something in the distance. Rather, it would have the dynamics of an experience, the experience of a present, an encounter." (Luigi Giussani, At the Origin of the Christian Claim, p 31. McGill-Queens 1998 - line breaks added to increase readability).

Roger Buck said...

Thanks again, Fred. Great to have this!

Among other things, I am struck by the *modernity* of nearly all the sources you cite - and the one I cited, Meditations on the Tarot.

Something that interests me a great deal - though I never have time to research it - is my vague, undeveloped sense of Catholic Christological ideas, which seem to me to be partially twentieth century developments.

That is, though they have certain precedents such as your Pauline quote - they have something new as well.

Eg. I think Avery Dulles is right in saying

'John Paul II takes every opportunity to quote Vatican II to the effect that Christ by his incarnation united himself in some sort with every human being and in so doing elevated human nature to an incomparable dignity'

That is JPII repeatedly comes back to Gaudium et Spes 22

And I've found myself asking why he 'takes every opportunity to quote Vatican II' ... G&S 22 ...

when he could use earlier sources.

Yet while there are precedents obviously to the idea of Christ's uniting with and dignifying human nature ...

I keep feeling - again I confess in a vague, undeveloped, unresearched way - that this is an example of a Christological idea that came more sharply into focus only recently ... ??

And that also what we have been speaking about as 'Encounter versus Enlightenment' may be something similar.

Something like that, anyway.

I must sooner or later imbibe more of Guissani/CL!

And isn't Deus Caritas Est WONDERFUL? No, for me it is more than wonderful. Definitely more than wonderful.

Yes it is hard to recommend highly enough this link to anyone who doesn't know yet what I'm talking about.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html

I was moved beyond measure by this ...

Fred said...

Good question. I would say that there is a certain sympathy between the concerns of modern philosophical phenomenology and the Fathers of the Church. St. Augustine, for example, had a profound sense of encounter.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your insightful comments about Matthew Fox.
I have had similar thoughts, but not as deeply thought out as yours. I appreciate this very much.
Rosa