Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Free Will and Hell

I am gratified indeed for comments on my last post, which indicate the humility and seriousness with which some people at least, are willing to work with the teaching of a tradition formed by countless great minds.

In the New Age subculture I emerged from, it seemed frequently assumed that Christian tradition arose largely from a line of moral idiots. Though as I indicate, part of this problem derives from caricatures of Christianity arising in the secular countries of Protestant heritage, I regret everywhere the tendency of different cultures to write-off others’ values, without understanding them. I am certainly guilty of this myself. Mea maxima culpa. Christe Eleison.

I am grateful the head brings up free will. And of course, God overcoming free will would be no miracle at all – but the establishment of cosmic tyranny. However much mercy might seem to be involved.

Given that I am not a follower of Calvin or certain threads of Islam, how do I respond?

I return to Anonymous d’Outre Tomb, who wrote: ‘God rules the world by authority and not by force.’ The question is – is God’s love sufficient that that love will convince – not compel! – human beings to accept this love in their own free time?

I trust that if John Paul questioned whether human beings were in hell, he must not have negated free will, but been open to the rule of God’s love – not by **compelling** power, but by the **convincing** authority of love. God’s love being so great, that human beings would not be forced out of hell, but choose to leave it of their own volition.

Also relevant to this discussion is the issue of the moment of decision. According to commonly accepted teaching, the choice for perdition or salvation occurs at the end of this life. A damnation in which one continuously chooses to align with Milton’s Lucifer – proclaiming that it is ‘better to reign in hell than serve in heaven’ is very different from one in which a choice after 70 years **fixes** one’s fate for time everlasting.

My gratitude, warm and deep, goes out to all friends, known and unknown, participating in this with me.

No comments: