Friday, November 25, 2005

Pause for a Personal Announcement

Dear Friends, known and unknown,

I write this in weariness, albeit a good weariness. And it is chiefly because of this weariness, that I am announcing that the webblog will now continue Monday to Fridays only.

I need time to recharge, regroup, and more deeply reflect on what I send out here.

I am obviously writing this webblog, because I feel it is important to at least attempt something of this kind. To attempt, as an online friend once put it memorably, to pitch a tent in the no-man’s land between Hermeticism and the Holy Church. Which, of course, entails getting shot at, which has started to happen …

There is much I hope to clarify in weeks to come. Questions come at me – either directly, or foreseen in imagination. Such as: do I not know that:
- Catholicism has its dark sides?
- There has been great value in secularism and the Enlightenment?
- Doubt, too, can have prodigious value?
- There is value to the negative theology of knowing in all humility, that one can never name in mental concepts, the ultimate nature of spiritual reality?

Yes Friends, all these things I know. For this reason, I have tried to weave a thread of paradox throughout these posts from the start – that, as Bohr said ‘the opposite of one great truth may well be another great truth’.

So while I agree with all of the above, I maintain that the horror of the world demands responses that are not reductionist, psychologising, carelessly destructive of tradition – but fired in FAITH, including faith in the Holy Church, the Mystici Corporis Christi.

I believe it is important to raise these things. Now I know that a fair number of you are joining me in this exploration. I am grateful indeed for your joining me. Even though I do not always know if it is in enthusiasm or outrage.

If however, you join me in believing there is value to what is being attempted here, you may wish to let others know. If this is the case, you may note a small icon of an envelope below each entry. By clicking on this, one can easily e-mail these entries to whoever might be interested. And if you think this effort worthwhile, I would also be grateful for any links you might wish to post to this site on the web.

Webblog will resume Monday.

Warm regards to you all,

Roger

3 comments:

Fred said...

I agree with "the head." It's a worthy project and you are right to set limits on your blogging. I'd rather see quality than quantity any day of the week.

jeff said...

I rarely read blogs in any consistent way but I am getting a lot out of this one Roger. Just do what you feel able....And thankyou!

Roger Buck said...

Thank you, Unknown Friends.

Weary, I took 48 hours off from blogging.

This was very encouraging to come back to.