Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Confessions XIV (Suffering Regarded As Illusion)

Dear Friends, Known and Unknown,

I have been suggesting that the New Age milieu can be characterised by a frequent tendency to either minimise suffering and tragedy or even deny it outright as illusory. Again I want to emphasise that this tendency is only 'frequent' - it is not consistent. There are significant exceptions.

But today I am going to focus on a book, which I believe exemplifies this frequent pattern – and which has gathered wide respect indeed within the holistic orbit.

The book is called A Course in Miracles – and it impossible for me to deny that it is a work of Genius. First, a word of what I mean by that term.

I recall when I first met Shakespeare. I met Shakespeare, when first I realised, what it was to stand in awe of Genius.

Stunned, I realised there was so, so, SO much in his tragedies, operating on so many levels, simultaneously. Layer upon layer of characterisation, penetrating psychological insight, spiritual wisdom, pathos, irony, social commentary and more – all woven together in a way which far surpassed any literature I had ever come across.

To top it all off, Shakespeare had managed to express his vast, complex vision in **poetry**. All was in iambic pentameter and included some of the most beautiful and memorable lines ever committed to English.

I actually feel something like that in response to A Course in Miracles.

Now one may wish to call it a towering work of ANTI-CHRISTIAN Genius, if one likes.

But I defy any thoughtful person to spend much time with this book, and not conclude that its author possesses an extroadinarily – I want to repeat EXTROADINARILY - sophisticated mind.

A vast and consistent vision of the nature of reality is presented, laden with **brilliant** insights into the dynamics of human psychology. And like Shakespeare, an immense amount of the text is in poetry – in fact, the same iambic pentameter employed by the bard. At many points, the language is very beautiful indeed.

As it happens, this is a 'channelled' text. The woman who received it, could not have possibly authored it in her normal every day consciousness.

But when it comes to the Course -unlike 99.8 % of New Age channelled texts - I must confess to feeling awe.

Now, the basic thrust of the Course’s message is that the world we see is illusory.

The Course posits two orders of perception. One order is real. The other is unreal.

At the outset, the Course itself states that its message can be "summed up very simply in this way:

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God."

Thus, the course has definite similarities to Platonism, Gnosticism, Vedanta – and so on. All of which posit that we experience a world of shadow or Maya – illusion.

This thinking is not even completely foreign to Christianity – inasmuch as Christianity is not dualist. Unlike certain Gnostics, Christians do not propose two equal, opposed orders of darkness and light. The world of Darkness does not have the same, ultimate eternal validity as that of God …

But the implications the Course draws from its position are radical indeed.

Now I must confess that I have never studied the Course in its 1,200 page entirety. Nonetheless I have substantially engaged with it over the years – also through the writings of its leading commentators.

Although one must be wary indeed of reducing a vast system to a simple summary, for my part I truly believe the following words represent the message that the Course is giving. Friends, I have struggled, really struggled to do justice to the Course, and this is what I believe its message necessarily **entails**:

In reality – Hitler never murdered the Jews. The genocide committed by Stalin, Mao, the European conquerors of the indigenous Americans and so forth, in reality never happened.

Similarity – in reality – global warming, the ravages of poverty, third world sweatshops, child abuse … the list goes on – all of these are not happening. Threats are unreal and what is unreal does not exist.

And it is only through understanding this basic unreality behind all suffering, that forgiveness is even possible.

The Course is a call to forgiveness at every level. Forgiveness for the Course is THE means of salvation.

But forgiveness **only** becomes possible for the Course, when we realise that every wrong done - from the most minor insult to the most sadistic torture - has not been done – in reality.

‘In reality’ is the key here. Whatever is precisely meant by these two words ‘in reality’. I am struggling to do justice here, and in that spirit, I ask you to focus on these two words I am repeatedly stressing as the key …

Now, on this basis, the Course goes on to deconstruct a vast, vast amount of Christianity.

According to the Course, the ONLY meaning of the Crucifixion was ‘to demonstrate that the most outrageous assault, as judged by the ego, does not matter’ – again, because ‘in reality’ it never happened. The Course amplifies its message about the Crucifixion by saying ‘destruction itself is impossible, anything that is destructible cannot be real’.

Thus two millennia of Christian (traditional and esoteric) understandings of the Crucifixion, which stand in the most profound contrast to this idea, are repeatedly dismissed by the Course as misunderstandings.

Tomorrow, I shall continue with the Course’s deconstruction of Christianity.

But in doing so, I hope never to get too far away from my main theme – which is that of New Age teachings, which serve to efface tragedy and suffering.

For I believe the Course, which met with deep respect wherever I ventured in the New Age milieu, is but an outstandingly developed example of a general New Age tendency of thought.

4 comments:

Roger Buck said...

The small portions here are from the first volume - the Text - of A Course in Miracles.

Specifically the Introduction page (unnumbered), and pages 85-86.

I hope that these brief quotes in a not-for-profit blog may be judged as 'fair use'. If not, I apologise and will remove them if notified.

Michael said...

Dear Roger,
Thank you for bringing attention to this course.

We know that when folk lose touch with reality it is judged to be a form of psychosis.

Also let's restate the facts as they are "all suffering is real".

-Bruce

Grey Owl said...

Dear Roger,

Pain is illusory on one hand is quite true. Creation is best described as the 'imagination of God.' Good thing that God is Love. This is how His consciousness is 'All.' We are removed from this reality by thinking that Creation is inert matter, God's consciousness as 'other,' and then there is just humans.

Without breaking the inert matter barrier, what that author is talking about does not make sense. And most treat it conceptually.

If God is Spirit, then God is conscious. Consciousness demands structure. Creation is the structure of God's consciousness. Just as we can think any thought, so can He, and that is how He manipulates what we consider inert matter.

God can only create consciousness, because that is who He is. Those child consciousnesses also in turn create themselves. Because we are limited in our finite animal perspective, we have a problem with this. What keeps us from realizing this greater truth? How do we realize more consciousness than just God and humans?

Didn't the Commandment tell us to have no other God but God? So we shut down all perception of a greater spirit reality. But did we get this wrong? God is one thing, but there can be many other spirits in existence. Thought is invisible, even for humans. All we see is the product from our thought. Yet we feel that invisible thought only belongs at our level to us and God, effectively the only spirits in existence.

How could we misinterpret this for so long? How did this happen? What are its implications?

To tell the civilized that everything is illusory is to lead them down the wrong path because of their paradigm. They do not have the foundation for perceiving all reality as spirit. With little spiritual education outside of man-centered theology we are lost. The Church is correct on matters of the human spirit, but just the condition of the soul in an animal body. It is a major piece of the puzzle of who we are.

The interpretation that pain is illusory makes it seem unreal, like a dream that we wake up from. Reality is our life in 'this world.'

Our protest as Christians is that it makes our suffering sound insignificant. We feel pain is signifcant and leads to God. This is correct. What is missing is an understanding of such dynamics as between one's life story and soul story. We are witheld the wisdom that we live more than one life because practically no one has been given that perception, that Gift from God. The idea of a 'soul story' is unknown, its journey through different lives foreign, never realizing what the 'zero-sum' life that we perceive has done to us: we have one chance, one life, to make it into heaven or be lost in hell. So the true blossoming of the meaning of our suffering is muted.

We want out of this suffering life and into eternal bliss. We have no idea we are coming back here, and that 'here' is just like heaven, if we could only realize it.

Modern society rejects pain as gratuitous and needs to be stopped. It is meaningless. Christians put their suffering into the context of Christ's suffering to give it human meaning.

But is there an easier way to understand suffering as transitional instead of as either gratuitous or an extension of a story we really don't understand outside of the self-referencing theology?

The suffering of God Himself seems preposterous to most. If He does suffer, why? What is the meaning of suffering outside of the two dominant paradigms that our society holds? How does this pertain to humans? And what is the larger picture that we are not seeing?

I accepted God's offer to go into the most horrendous suffering. He told me to 'stir the heart, feel the pain, the heart is needed, to live again.' I didn't need theology. He gave me the goods straight. And it shattered my civilized notions of what reality is.

Is pain an illusion? No. It is a transition if you trust God to take you to its meaning, why He gave it to you, why He suffers with you. It is meaning, the vehicle of consciousness, just as joy and wisdom are. All three are inseparable. It is God. It is the condition of consciousness that is All. But we are subject to our civilized view of reality. So we cannot break free and we don't know why. So we suffer, with faith, knowing that one day God will make sense of it all beyond the richness of our theology.

Unlike most people, I long for the return of Jesus for one reason. For Him to heal. This seems nonsensical in traditional orthodoxy. Isn't Christ in paradise now? Yes and no.

One must understand the significance of what this life is, and what it does to the soul. God may have done a lot of healing for Jesus. But Jesus must come back to this world for His suffering, His meaning, His transition to be complete for Himself, outside of His meaning to us.

Unto Him we owe our love and gratitude for His suffering to guide us through this time that we do not fully understand. Unto Him, on this Easter weekend, on this anniversary of His last supper, we must create heaven-on-earth so that His sacrifice was for naught. For God will not grant His son's healing return to any place that does not resemble the reality of the beauty of His father's Creation.

I want Jesus healed. I want God's Heart healed. That cannot be done until the souls in this world are healed from their suffering. That time is just beginning. But that world is so strange to the civilized that the language has barely begun to be learned.

So our lady author took the poetry of a spiritual channeling to tell us about the nature of reality. But our worldview holds so many back, thinking illusory is dismissive, instead of illustrating that reality is consciousness, and consciousness is simply meaning. That meaning is God's love. The meaning of suffering is crucial to the greater joy that is Father's Creation, Father's consciousness.

Christianity knows suffering. It must grow, however, if it wishes to bless the one it so loves. And that will involve a lot of pain.

Blessings,
Sun Warrior

Roger Buck said...

Thank you, Bruce, Derek, Sun Warrior -

Yes Bruce I relate to your extreme word psychosis.

Even in my less discriminating youth, I recognised certain people seemed to be 'casuallties' of A Course in Miracles and Alice Bailey's.

They had become abstract and impersonal to the point of beginning to dissociate from reality ... or so it seemed to me.

It is interesting to me that in my early 20's I knew nothing of the Mystery of Golgotha - and was disposed to these texts embraced in the New Age.

Yet in private - I may never have mentioned this term in public before -I could not help but see what I described, to myself at least, as 'casualties' ... in regards to ACIM and Alice Bailey

Just recording a subjective impression of decades ago which I hesitate to commit here as anything other that: a subjective impression of decades ago, when I was not in any sense critical of these teachings at all.

You use an extreme word. But I do not say it is unjustified.

I will spend my life, I believe trying to ponder ever more deeply the real CONSEQUENCES of the spirituality of certain texts that are well-respected in the New Age.

Yes, let us open our hearts to the reality of suffering ...

Derek -

Thank you again for the GOLDMINE you have at your blog about New Thought. A mine I need to mine as soon as I have time ...

I would very much recommend your posts concerning New Thought to anyone here trying to come to terms with the New Age.

Very very helpful to me, anyway.

And thank you, Sun Warrior.

Again I won’t be able to do justice to all aspects of your complex post.

Re:

“Pain is illusory on one hand is quite true. Creation is best described as the 'imagination of God.”

in what follows, you are equating the ideas of God’s imagination/the structure of consciousness/ “greater spirit reality”

With illusion. At least of some kind.

I can see how that equation can be made.

And I am not opposed to the idea that there are elements to existence, which have less validity from an eternal divine perspective. Poorly put …

I also recognize that great thinkers in numerous traditions have posited at least an element of illusion to our experience.

I think at least at this point, I am neither going to affirm nor negate that thesis

But for myself, I wonder about the helpfulness of the word ‘illusion’ … As I indicate, I fear it can lead to abstractness, avoidance of tragedy and suffering. And I suspect a diminished personal and political will in addressing these.

However, I acknowledge that you are not at all advocating such abstraction and avoidance –

And that such is very evident in the experience you movingly relate:

“I accepted God's offer to go into the most horrendous suffering. He told me to 'stir the heart, feel the pain, the heart is needed, to live again.' I didn't need theology. He gave me the goods straight. And it shattered my civilized notions of what reality is.”

So much in your post, I must leave for now. Am in the midst of relocating from Ireland to Spain …

But thank you for this and thank you all,

Roger