Thursday, April 13, 2006

Confessions XV (Sin Regarded as Illusion)

Holy Thursday

Dear Friends Known and Unknown,

Yesterday I spoke of A Course in Miracles as an immensely sophisticated text, whose influence I repeatedly encountered in many New Age venues.

Often this influence might not be particularly visible. I am thinking now, for instance, of a prominent author in the holistic milieu, who I knew and who had deeply worked with the Course, though I think that this was scarcely mentioned in his erudite writings …

Now I am not saying that A Course in Miracles is secretly at work behind the scenes in every corner of the sprawling holistic movement. I am saying I experienced it as a very popular text – and with a staying-power over the years, which other texts did not necessarily enjoy.

And even where the Course was not being studied, mention of its name frequently evoked affirmation. It would be regularly met with nods of respect.

Yes, as I look back on my New Age years, I find it easy to imagine a student of the Course being greeted with nods of respect in New Age circles everywhere.

But if I imagine myself now, as a Catholic, moving through those same circles and saying that I preferred the dogmas of Catholicism to the Course, I cannot so easily imagine those same approving nods.

I imagine rather bewilderment – and indeed I have experienced such bewilderment continuously, as I have encountered folk of a holistic persuasion in recent years.

Yes, I experience my conversion to Catholicism as bewildering for such people. I have who tasted Findhorn and the New Age to now prefer Roman Catholicism …!? The mind boggles. But that is the reaction both my wife and I have frequently met since we chose the Church.

And although the New Age milieu is commonly considered as a place without doctrines, I now believe this bewildered reaction points to a set of commonly held (though often unconscious) beliefs.

Among these is a definite sense that new teachings are superior to old. For do I not realise that texts like A Course in Miracles belong to a new ‘dispensation’ and are to be preferred to Old Age ‘dogma’?

Thus even in truth, the Course in Miracles is only studied by a very small fraction of the New Age movement, I believe that this pattern of general respect I describe is true and that behind this, there lies a tale to be told …

It is a tale of respecting 'New Revelations' – or rather a certain KIND of 'New Revelations'. These are of a kind I think, which accord-more or less-to a general New Age pattern.

Now I believe that the Course does accord –again more or less – to such a pattern. And to return to a theme in these confessions, it is a pattern which tends to dismiss the notions which attend a Fall into sin, suffering,tragedy and evil.

But to illustrate this, I need to focus on the Course more deeply.

Yesterday I spoke of how the Course’s message is that no harm has ever been done to anyone – in reality.

From this same perspective then, it naturally follows that we ourselves never can or do harm anyone. Guilt and sin are thus regarded by the Course as unhealthy ideas – as indeed is the case elsewhere in New Age thought.

Thus the Course preaches against the concept of sin:

“To sin would be to violate reality and to succeed [which according to the Course’s concept of reality is impossible.]

Sin is the proclamation that attack is real and guilt is justified … Sin is the grand illusion underlying all the ego’s grandiosity [One’s true self] cannot sin. There is nothing [the true self] can do that would really change his reality in any way, nor make him really guilty”

The Course advises us to stop JUDGING AS REAL any harm at all in our actions. It describes such a judgment as ‘Making the error real’ – the 'error' that is, that we can do *real* harm, that we thus are GUILTY of *real* harm or that we can commit what a Christian would commonly call sin.

Now if one holds such a view, a vast host of Christian prayers become meaningless. ‘Forgive us our sins’ … ‘Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.‘ These are examples of what the Course calls: 'Making the Error real".

In a similar vein, I will note that, as my heart ponders the prospects of my 11 year old daughter living out her years in a burning greenhouse, I turn to another prayer, which I believe has been given by Our Lady, and which includes the following supplication:

Let the Holy Spirit live in the hearts of all nations,
That they may be preserved from degeneration, disaster and war.
(For more on this prayer, See my entry for 1-12-05)

Yet from the perspective of the Course, in reality there is no ‘degeneration, disaster and war’.

But whether I turn to the prayer of the Lady of All Nations or not, the fact remains that the Course is claiming that a vast amount of Christian prayer and inspiration is founded on false ideas.

The Course in Miracles then, is fundamentally opposed to vast aspects of Christian teaching and practice.

But this Course finds respect in a general milieu, in which these very same ideas underlying Christianity are also opposed – to one degree or another. That is, it finds widespread respect in the milieu I call New Age.

I wish to repeat 'to one degree or another'. These aspects of Christianity are not always as **radically and consistently** opposed in the New Age culture, as they are in the Course.

But still, this milieu has in my experience, a definite tendency to oppose the so-called ‘Piscean’ notions of a Fall into sin, suffering, tragedy and evil … among other Christian conceptions.

And all of this is to do with why I believe that many New Age folk can scarcely believe that I could now prefer a ‘retrograde’ Catholicism, after tasting the fruits of the New Aquarian dispensation …

3 comments:

Roger Buck said...

The small quoted portion here is from the first volume - the Text - of A Course in Miracles.

Specifically, page 375.

I hope that this brief quote in a not-for-profit blog may be judged as 'fair use'. If not, I apologise and will remove it if notified.

I also want to say that due to many pressures, I may be slower than normal in responding to posts here.

But all are carefully read and appreciated.

I just may be a little slower in replying ...

Grey Owl said...

Dear Roger,

It is amusing, when I think about it on this Holy Thursday, that my dad would be shocked if I told him that I believed that the wine and bread were actually the body of Christ. This would make no sense to him, since its all symbollism.

And I know many who would be considered New Agers who have a healthy connection with the spiritual reality of Jesus. I, myself, have known Jesus and His healing power. It is incredibly strong, and I must say, I have a more complicated relationship with Jesus than I do with God. It is at a level that includes a deep fear that I am still working towards on a very deeply personal level. I sense a level of grief that will shift my soul in unknown ways, and that I am not quite ready to face. The true depths and significance of the human soul in its journey through the sacrifice of all of Creation for our betterment. Christ is merely the tip of the iceberg on this one.

To me, the guilt is transforming into recognizing the spectre of love that is involved, the pain and suffering of Creation in service to us, as we blindly exist in a Creation that we barely know. Creation suffers with us, and we do not appreciate that whole piece of the big picture. We only know the guilt from the grief exemplified in what we did to Jesus, and how it reflects our own suffering and blindness.

Evil is real. It is the word 'live' spelled backwards. Hearts are wounded deeply by its nature, and without connection to God, the suffering stagnates, embittering human hearts that they take into the afterlife. If you don't love God, you are on your own, and that is a terrible prospect when you are so limited in this life. God still 'protects' us through this life in unseen ways, but if we are not conscious of Him, we falsely believe we can 'do it' on our own with disasterous consequences as we choose between good and evil only using the knowledge of our minds.

It comes down to understanding the meaning of the story we are in. The mind is dominant, as Adam chose knowledge over wisdom. The Church is there to get us through this time. It is profound in its understanding of it. To reject it to simply remedy a feeling of not feeling 'loved' is to throw the baby out with the bath water. It does not appreciate how the Church is part of Truth. The Church is part of the 'whole,' not in opposition to it. To ignore the Church is to leave out a massive piece of the meaning that we live.

Blessings, as we enter the sadness of Good Friday...

Sun Warrior

Roger Buck said...

First to Derek

You are absolutely right about 'a preference for the really, really, really old -- as in "ancient wisdom" ...

Alongside the new ...

Now part of this is to do with rejecting "power structures, authority and limits ...

But I think there is more -

For there is a commonality between at least many of these pre-Christian and post-Christian teachings – they both reject vast amounts of Christian tradition ...

Including a tradition that you need authority, limits, certain structures ...

in order to **transmit** that tradition ... to transmit the Mystery of Christ.

And it seems to me, that there are so many instances, where the authority and structures have been dissolved ...

and although what I might so very poorly designate a 'generic spirituality' remains ...

The Mystery of Christ is lost ... has also been dissolved ...

In my youth, I had this 'generic spirituality'.

I had no experience of Church structures and authority and lived in a milieu hostile to them.

Then I entered a world that valued these - and a new world became *cognised* ...

And in the general rejection of structures, tradition necessary to a general cognition/gnosis of the Christian Mystery

I have come to see – with pain and difficulty over several years - some hidden ‘unity’ in the so-called holistic movement.

And yes, Derek I appreciate your distinction between unhealthy, disproportionate morbid guilt ... and accountability.

One more thing - no time to check this in my move. But on New Thought - I am almost sure I recall Alice Bailey writing very positively of Baker Eddy's revelation, saying it was the inspiration of one of the 'Masters of the Hierarchy'.

And I believe I recall the identity of this said 'Master' - but I hesitate to give it. until I am sure.

If I am right, in my memory there may be a certain parallel to be found with the situation of A Course in Miracles.

No - the Tibetan was not saying the master was the 'Master Jesus' - but if I am right, a certain parallel may exist ... using authoritive figures in Christianity to challenge traditional Christianity.

I must check this out, in time ...

Think all Bailey's writings are at a site with a search engine somewhere. Will type in Baker Eddy or suchlike ...


To Sun Warrior,

Thank you again.

I am very moved by what you share with us so honestly and personally of:

"I, myself, have known Jesus and His healing power. It is incredibly strong, and I must say, I have a more complicated relationship with Jesus than I do with God. It is at a level that includes a deep fear that I am still working towards on a very deeply personal level. I sense a level of grief that will shift my soul in unknown ways, and that I am not quite ready to face."

This kind of open honesty is very helpful for us all I feel. Sincerity has its own deep power and beauty ...

And I also appreciate what you say of the non-abstract nature of evil.

Ie - it **really** exists and it **really** wounds hearts - so, so, so, so many hearts ...

And no, the mind is not enough. Our faculties are not enough. We need grace - and among the gifts of grace is that given us with and through the Church ...

As you say:


"The Church is there to get us through this time. It is profound in its understanding of it. ... The Church is part of the 'whole,' not in opposition to it. To ignore the Church is to leave out a massive piece of the meaning that we live."

Yes indeed Sun Warrior

Thank you and bless you both, Unknown Friends ...

Roger


PS. One last thing to anyone posting here ...

It involves a great, cosmic mystery I have so far been unable to unravel ... :-)

Derek and some others of you are using ITALICS in your posts.

I use all of these clumsy asterisks **** simply because I can't figure out how to get italics into this blog.

It's probably embarassingly simple.

But there is nothing wrong with being embarassed - as I must inform my pride filled nature.

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you.